15 July 2019

Apollo 11 in my Scrapbook

Every so often I remember the scrapbooks I filled with newspaper clipping from the Apollo missions, and the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 is certainly one such occasion.  I was a lad of 10 and deeply immersed in the wonders of space, starting with Gemini.  The daily newspapers, weekly news magazines (Time, Newsweek) and the 3 main networks were the only source of news, photos, stories, but at least they were reliable, unbiased and reasonably thorough.   Our newspapers were the Buffalo Evening News and the Courier-Express.  I started scrapbooking with Apollo 1, skipped 7 & 8 (why I don't know) and started again with 11.   The run-up to launch features 2 weeks of general articles looking at the more philosophical or unusual aspects of the mission.  I won't comment much on them except to suggest watching out for a few of the more interesting headlines in light of how much our knowledge has increased since then and how the past 50 years have transpired.   Enjoy!





























No comments: